Pregnancy In my 20’s v Pregnancy in my 30’s..

When I found out that I was pregnant with my daughter Letoya, I was 24 years old.  By modern standards, that is considered quite young.  I had always thought that I would be in my 30’s if I even had any children, as establishing a career and experiencing life was important to me.  Yes, I had done my share of travelling, partying, socialising and self-exploration, but I really hadn’t anticipated that I would have a baby at this age.  I still felt very young.

I was overjoyed with the news of course, in ways I hadn’t even thought possible.  Having been someone that had barely even held a baby, I was also nervous of what was to follow.

The first three months were not easy by any means.  I could barely eat anything, especially anything sweet.  Now, I am unable to function in the morning without a cup of tea.  I have probably had one every morning since I was around 12 (let’s just say a looooooong time!).  The very smell of anything sweet made me sick, so that meant no tea, and a grumpy, snappy me.  I survived on crackers, digestive biscuits, dry pasta and cereal.  Much to everyone’s assumption that you ‘eat for two’, I was eating far less than I had done previously and had lost a considerable amount of weight.

With loss of appetite and loss of weight came a huge slump in my energy levels.  I was commuting into work at the time and left home around 5:45.  By the time I arrived for a 9am start, I was struggling to function.  I had a whole day ahead of me and no real coping mechanism.  It was a hard time, but I got through with a lot of sleep and rest whenever I could get it.

When the first trimester draw to a close,  my appetite slowly returned, along with my energy levels.  In fact, I had a huge burst of energy and enthusiasm, which was bolstered by a growing excitement for the baby that was growing inside of me.  I started shopping for Letoya (neutrals only at this point) and planning the nursery that would be hers.  The second trimester was the best time of my pregnancy.  Around five months I started to show a little and it all seemed real!

The third trimester started out wonderfully.  I was still relatively small in size and wasn’t suffering from some of the physical ailments that many women do during pregnancy.  I had made sure that I stayed as active as possible and I genuinely belived this was invaluable.  My body, externally anyway, changed very little until I was 7 months pregnant.

The last two months, I grew very fast indeed.  My energy again slumped but I still had a unshakeable determination to make sure that everything was perfect ready for Letoya’s impending arrival.  I wanted to sleep and rest, but there was simply too much to do and too much to organise!  In the last days before the ‘big day’ I grew a little grumpy as I went past my due date, with no signs that labour was close.  When it finally happened, from my waters breaking to my contractions to the final push, Letoya was born one hour later.  I had a very easy labour!

With Ethan I was 30 years old when I found out I was pregnant.  I was a lot more prepared for what was in store this time.  The first trimester was a breeze.  I can’t really find a more fitting word to describe it.  I had no sickness, no tiredness, just pure energy and pure joy.  It was a complete parallel (physically) from my first pregnancy.  I was fearing the onset of sickness but it never arrived.

The second trimester was very similar to the first.  It went by quickly and without any hiccups.  Having a full time job and a family kept me busy and on my feet constantly.  It was again, around seven months when I finally started showing.  I know much can be attributed to genetics, but I kept a balanced diet and an active lifestyle and this really helped me.

I had always thought, until the third trimester, that I would be prepared and ready for anything that would come my way.  I had an easy birth with Letoya, so I wasn’t dreading labour as much as some do.  But around eight months I developed a growing anxiety about labour starting quickly, and there being no one around to help.

Whilst Google is at times our best friend, at others it is our worst.  I spent hours (as most expectant mums do), scouring the internet looking for information on second births.  Most of these explained that their second labours were even quicker than their first.  This absolutely terrified me.  Without trivialising the experience, I was genuinely concerned that I would be alone, unable to get anywhere or to any help in time.  Dan kept his phone close at all times and didn’t go too far from home.

Three weeks before my due date, during a routine midwife appointment, my midwife noticed that Letoya was a small baby (at 6lbs 2) and as such, I should have had more regular scans and closer monitoring.  I was quickly booked in for a 37 week scan, during which It was discovered that my waters were at a dangerously low level.  The midwife left the room to speak to the doctor, as it was looking like I would have to be induced.

Dan and I sat anxiously waiting, for what seemed like an eternity.  The midwife came in and advised that I would have to be induced.  I will never forget that moment, with Dan responding, ‘What, now?’.  The midwife reassured us that it wouldn’t happen immediately, but in three days time!

To some extent this eased my fears of being alone when labour begins.  But it prompted a strange feeling, that I was being robbed of the excitement that comes with the onset of labour.  I rationalised this by reminding myself that I could clean the house, make sure Letoya was with her Nanny and have some dinners prepped for the coming days.  And there was the added bonus that I could make sure I had shaved my legs and wash my hair!

The morning of the induction, we arrived at the hospital at 9 am, and was induced at 12.  It was a good six hours until I had any labour pains.  Much to my surprise I didn’t have the 1 hour labour I was expecting.  Four hours after my first pain began, Ethan was born.  Whilst this was not the one hour labour I had with Letoya, it was still relatively quick.  I really had been lucky!

What can I say about my experiences of pregnancy in my 20’s compared to pregnancy in my 30’s?  Well, I really can’t draw any conclusive points.  Physically my pregnancy in my 30’s was a lot easier on my body.  I had a lot more energy and my body coped a lot better with its demands, in contrary to the statistics which are displayed all over the internet.  I had kept physically active during both, maintaining a healthy diet, which I am sure helped in both cases.  Some say that women carry girls different to the way in which they carry boys?  Maybe there is some truth to this, maybe not. However, there are so many contributing factors which dictate how you and your body will react to pregnancy.  To say that one rule fits all would be irresponsible.   What I would say, is that keeping your body healthy and carrying out a good amount of research into what to expect, really helped me prepare for what was to come.  Worry is unavoidable, but education is the best form of preparation.

Women, you are all strong, unique and amazing.  Designed to create and carry another life.  This in itself is a miracle, irrespective of age.

Much Love,

Lisa xx

How old were you when you had your first child?  How did you find your pregnancy (ies) as you got older?

Thank you for visiting Wonderling!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Share:

34 Comments

1. March 23, 2017 / 9:33 am

I had my first baby at 18 years old and then my second at 30 years old.

I totally expected my pregnancies and births to be similar… and I couldn’t have been more wrong.

I was the healthiest of my life at 30, but being pregnant was not fun. I was put on leave 15 weeks before my due date, even though I worked a desk job. With my first pregnancy I worked on my feet for 8 hours a day right until the day before delivery.

Like you, I also expected my second delivery to be faster… and it wasn’t the case either. I was in active labour for almost 3 hours with both babes.

What I learned is pregnancy and delivery are never predictable… despite what everyone tries to tell you.

• wonderlingblog
      March 23, 2017 / 9:45 am

That is true.. you can never predict what will happen, as much as we as mothers want to be in full control of it!

2. March 23, 2017 / 12:47 pm

I found myself in your words. I had my first when I was 28 and my second when i was 32…

3. March 23, 2017 / 2:35 pm

For starters your children are beautiful. I have two boys and both pregnancies were very different. I got pregnant with my second when my first was 5 months old and found out when my husband already left for basic training. Indeed it was very difficult. I was 19 when I had my first and 20 when I had my second. I hope try for a girl in the car future. I wonder what it will be like then.

• wonderlingblog
      March 23, 2017 / 9:29 pm

Wow. Bless you! That must have been really difficult for you! It sounds like you come from
      A military home am I right? All credit to you if so, I have been through that and the lifestyle can be really hard at times! X

4. March 23, 2017 / 2:44 pm

That’s interesting that you felt so much better in your first trimester the 2nd time around. I don’t have children but I’ve seen in friends and colleagues that no two pregnancies are the same, even for the same woman!

5. March 23, 2017 / 2:47 pm

Loved the story and your babies are adorable! When you wrote about thinking first to have babies after making career ect, I think too many people wait for too long. And babies are not in the way of career, at least that is what I hope (don´t have my own yet). I hope you get my point, I am a tiny bit tired, so my thoughts don´t run as fast as my fingers in this keyboard, haha! You look lovely!

6. March 23, 2017 / 7:02 pm

I have never been pregnant but your story will definitely help me in future. I heard that after 30 if you have your 1st baby then there are chances to have complications. Is it true? Is it difficult to conceive after 30? It would be great if you can answer those question. I hope you having fun with your kids.

• wonderlingblog
      March 23, 2017 / 9:24 pm

There are so many factors which contribute to fertility and reproductive health, so I really couldn’t say specifically. There are noted higher risks as we age but health and lifestylr play a huge part .. thank you for your comment!

7. March 23, 2017 / 8:41 pm

I always said I didn’t want to have kids after the age of 30 for fear of how my body would react. It seems that during your 30s pregnancy, your body responded better. I had the easiest pregnancy ever with my son at 28. Maybe I was a happy medium .

• wonderlingblog
      March 23, 2017 / 9:23 pm

It is really odd, I have found the exact same.. who knows how Mother Nature works! X

8. March 23, 2017 / 10:33 pm

I had the opposite experience! I had my daughters when I was 24 and 26 and my sons at 29 and 31. My last pregnancy was by far my hardest (though my third was no picnic either). Age had definitely caught up with me and I didn’t feel nearly as fit or energized as I did with the first two.

• wonderlingblog
      March 23, 2017 / 10:53 pm

Mother Nature really isn’t that consistent is she!? I think the fact that I had a good 5 years between helped!

9. March 24, 2017 / 12:51 am

My pregnancies were pretty spread out too, so it was cool to read this and get another woman’s perspective on the differences. My daughters are five years apart, and I remember being amazed at what a difference those five years made in my body and how I handled things. But then, maybe it wasn’t the time span at all – there were a lot of major complications throughout my second pregnancy, and I’d say those probably account for a lot.

Like you said, each pregnancy is different for each woman.

10. taylermorrell
    March 24, 2017 / 2:17 am

It just goes to show that every pregnancy is different! I had my first at 24. Before I had him, I was super super super skinny. Barely gained any weight, textbook pregnancy. Then, I bled at 37 weeks, doctors didn’t know why, everything was ok, but to be on the safe side, they induced me at 39. Pretty easy labor. I had my second at 26. Terrible first trimester–sick and debilitating headaches all the time, low energy and aches and pains the entire time. Plus, I never lost my pregnancy weight from the first because of an antidepressant I was on. I went into labor myself unexpectedly at 38 weeks and she came pretty quickly, too…very easy labor…easier than the first. But, I’ve definitely not jumped back as quickly weight wise…the first pregnancy it was harder for me to physically recover, but I lost weight quickly until I got on the anti depressant. But the second, I felt like a million bucks within a week, but am really having trouble getting rid of ANY weight.

11. Elizabeth O.
    March 24, 2017 / 2:29 am

I thought it would be the exact opposite since it’s easier to deal with pregnancy when you’re in your twenties. At least that’s how I felt. I think this is because our bodies will always be different from one another.

12. March 24, 2017 / 2:30 am

I’ve never been pregnant so I wouldn’t know how it feels like in your 20s or 30s. I think it’s really nice that you know how to handle it the second time around so you didn’t have to worry about anything else. Thanks for sharing your story!

13. March 24, 2017 / 3:02 am

This was very helpful. I just had my first child at 25 and am not planning to have another until he is 7 or 8. So I will have to experience pregnancy in my 30s and the difference that it may have on me than what the first pregnancy had.

14. yvetteputter
    March 24, 2017 / 3:08 am

I can relate to everything you mentioned on here, my first was at 25 years old and my last (a ‘whoops – what?!’) was at 34! For me my first was the easiest on the body, but maybe that’s because I had only myself to care for instead of running after 2 other kids already (my middle child was at age 29)? Generally, I really think pregnancies in your 30s are actually the way to go! LOL.

15. March 24, 2017 / 6:07 am

ohh your kids looks adorable! And you are blessed having them.

16. March 24, 2017 / 3:40 pm

Your family’s beautiful!
    And we agree wholeheartedly; the female body is incredibly powerful irrespective of age, shape, or anything else. Thanks for sharing your story with us!

17. March 24, 2017 / 4:37 pm

Being pregnant is not easy!!! I used to believe one could eat for two… and it is not true! I have hyperemesis and have been sick every single day, can barely eat anything 🙁
    xoxo,

Ileana
    novelstyleblog.com

• wonderlingblog
      March 24, 2017 / 5:08 pm

Oh no! Poor you! Make sure you stay as hydrated as possible.. x

18. March 24, 2017 / 6:38 pm

I’m glad you were able to deliver two beautiful healthy babies! I’m not pregnant, or ever plan to be for that matter, but this was cute to read anyway!

19. Samantha
    March 24, 2017 / 9:50 pm

oh goodness. I just turned 30 and am 32 weeks pregnant. It is crazy how different it is!

20. March 24, 2017 / 10:20 pm

I had kids in my 20’s and 30’s. My 30’s child was so much easier and so was my labor and delivery.

21. March 25, 2017 / 1:03 am

Our stories are very similar. My first I could not eat throughout my entire pregnancy. I only gained 10 pounds each with my children. It did take a toll on me when I gave birth both times because my babies were taking everything from me and I was very sick each time. We also learn a lot and are more prepared the second time around.

22. March 25, 2017 / 1:56 am

It’s so funny, I always told my husband that I won’t have kids in my 30’s. I thought it would be harder! I had all three of my kids in my 20’s and I mean I’m glad I’m done and can enjoy my kids at a younger age 🙂

23. March 25, 2017 / 2:26 am

I have only been pregnant once and that wasnt to long ago at 20. It was a horrible first couple trimesters and a long 32 hour delivery. I am definitely anxious to see how my next pregnancy and labor go.

24. Ruth I.
    March 25, 2017 / 5:26 pm

I do not have kids yet but I have observed a few people during pregnancy. They are really different and unpredictable.

25. March 25, 2017 / 7:42 pm

Sorry to hear about the loss of appetite in pregnancy number one but it is great that it returned a few trimesters later. Your children are so cute and it is so interesting to learn about the differences between the two pregnancies x

26. March 26, 2017 / 8:58 pm

I haven’t been pregnant in my 30s yet, but my pregnancies were terrible. I’m hoping if I ever have another that it will be much easier.

27. March 28, 2017 / 2:35 am

I was someone who never was hungry when I was preggo! I was so excited to eat for two and have ridiculous craving and I was the odd one who lost weight and had to force myself to eat -_-