My 30 Minute Fitness Routine

Our lives, now more than ever are exceptionally busy.  From early mornings and long commutes, to extended hours at work and stretched family time in the evening; there is no doubt that we are busier than ever.

For a long time I struggled to fit anything aside from work, family time & household duties into my schedule.  And for a long time this was fine.  Life ticked over at a fast pace, but it was something that I had become accustomed to.  Having time for the things that I wanted to do outside of this seemed impossible.  The more time I took reflecting upon this, the more I realise that I was making excuses and convincing myself, instead of enabling myself.

I have always been active, even If it has been just regular brisk walking & intense cleaning, and having two little ones with boundless energy certainly helps!  I really enjoy being active and find it difficult to be still for long periods of time, which doesn’t always fit hand in hand with a desk job!

I have found that I can fit exercise into my daily routine, in short structured sessions.  I am fortunate, in that I have a reasonable level of fitness, so my training is focused around building muscle strength and toning, which can easily be slot into my day.

I complete this routine four times a week, with a few small cardio sessions in between:

After I have put my little ones to bed around 7:30, the house is quiet and I start by putting on some good workout music.  I have a few dedicated playlists on Apple music that are my go-to’s.

I start with a 15 minute cardio session, which I round up with some basic stretching.  I include:

Jogging on the spot, jogging with high knee’s, star jumps.

I then complete 3 sets of the following:

10 squats with barbell supporting 6kg.

10 sets of bicep curls with 6kg barbell.

If I can manage any more, I try to bring myself to exhaustion.

After this I work on abs and do 50 sit-ups, holding a 4kg weight, then finish with Russian twists.  I try and do as many of these as I possibly can, before collapsing.

When my heart rate is resting again, I finish my workout with some stretches to warm down.

I can do all of this in 30 minutes, comfortably, meaning I still have time to get the clothes ready for the morning, prepare lunches and of course work on my blog!

fitness 2

To all the mums out there, I would recommend taking the step.  It can seem daunting, but I have so much more energy and feel great after working out.  It really helps with confidence both in mind and body.  I do all my workouts from the comfort of my own home, with no judgement.  We can all make time for the things that are important, and maintaining a healthy mind and body is vital to sustaining a long and happy life.

How do you fit exercise into your day?  What are your biggest challenges when looking to start exercising?

Thank you for visiting Wonderling!

Much Love,

Lisa xx

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Share:

20 Comments

1. March 12, 2017 / 2:41 am

As a busy university student, I too find it hard sometimes to schedule a workout into my routine. What I found effective was essentially “scheduling” it into my calendar on my phone, much like a meeting. I wouldn’t miss a class or meeting, so my mantra was that I wouldn’t miss my “meeting” with the gym. I’ve now been going 4-5 days a week for 3 months now and I’ve never been happier. All it takes is 30 minutes out of your day to feel stronger, more awake, and happier!

• wonderlingblog
      March 12, 2017 / 8:09 am

That is definitely true, it’s so important to take care of your body and treat it right.

2. March 12, 2017 / 3:03 pm

As I’m getting older and have a couple of illnesses it can be difficult to exercise, although I do 10,000 steps (around 5 miles) every day. Some of the things you have mentioned though will be do-able for me. Thank you

3. Erica
    March 12, 2017 / 7:00 pm

Sounds like you have a good workout routine. I’ve been doing a lot of old-fashioned running outside lately and that’s had me feeling good. Love taking Pilates reformer classes when I get the opportunity.

• wonderlingblog
      March 12, 2017 / 10:26 pm

Sounds like you are doing it Erica! Makes you feel great doesn’t it? X

4. March 12, 2017 / 10:56 pm

This is a great routine! I’ll have to try it sometime. It’s always hard squeezing in a workout but the morning is best to make sure it gets done.

• wonderlingblog
      March 12, 2017 / 11:13 pm

Morning is definitely good.. you are at your most energised!

5. March 13, 2017 / 2:53 am

Thanks for sharing- yes, short workouts can be just as effective, if not more so, than longer ones.

6. March 13, 2017 / 12:40 pm

Love this! thanks for putting it together!! Going to try it next week!

• wonderlingblog
      March 13, 2017 / 12:56 pm

Thanks Rachel let me know how you get on!

7. March 13, 2017 / 6:33 pm

Great workout plan! I am in physical therapy for back issues, but once I am better I will give it a try!

8. March 14, 2017 / 5:42 pm

Great workout! I have been looking for a workout routine to get me started and I like that this doesn’t need much equipment besides a barbell. I would love to hear what is on your play list!

• wonderlingblog
      March 14, 2017 / 6:48 pm

Thank you Stephanie! I saw results after just two weeks it really worked for me. Please subscribe for more updates on my progress! Happy to share it with you If you’d like to send me your email

9. March 17, 2017 / 3:00 am

Great job! I’m not that dedicated to fitness although every spring/summer I try to do better.

10. March 20, 2017 / 9:58 am

Such a great post! And I type this as I’m having my 5:30 am breakfast before my workout! Lol! I have such better days when I make the time for myself to exercise!

• wonderlingblog
      March 20, 2017 / 10:00 am

Me too, I feel so much better in myself mentally and physically. We are, by nature designed to be active!

11. April 5, 2017 / 11:46 am

I’ve actually always been good at working out, but now we’ve moved into a big apartment community, and we’re upstairs, and I don’t want to jump around. I also didn’t bring my treadmill w/me when we moved (space), so I’m in a whole new arena!

12. May 15, 2017 / 7:02 pm

This quick and effective workout really comes in handy when you are in a hurry! Excellent workout!